Tysons Corner Federal Employment Workplace Discrimination Lawyer

Share This

If you are a federal employee and have concerns about workplace discrimination, getting advice from a seasoned employment attorney could be crucial to protecting your rights. Illegal discrimination can affect employment actions in the federal government in many ways. Forms of discrimination can include denied promotions, unequal pay and/or benefits, or hostile work environments and bullying.

If you have experienced any of these or other adverse employment actions, you should seek legal representation from the Spiggle Law Firm sooner rather than later. A Tysons Corner federal employment workplace discrimination lawyer from our firm could help you explore your options for filing a formal complaint and remedying your situation through legal means.

Laws Prohibiting Federal Workplace Discrimination

Under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, government employees have the right to equal treatment in employment regardless of their race, color, sex, national origin or religion. Other laws that provide federal employees with protections against discrimination include:

  • Rehabilitation Act, which addresses disability discrimination
  • Age Discrimination in Employment Act
  • Pregnancy Discrimination Act
  • Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Act of 1994 (USERRA)
  • Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 (GINA)

Title VII and other laws also prohibit retaliation against employees who have complained about discrimination or made prior EEO charges. A qualified Tysons Corner federal employment workplace discrimination attorney could help you assess which laws may apply to your particular circumstances and structure your case accordingly.

Filing a Discrimination Claim

To initiate a discrimination claim as a federal employee, you must first contact an EEO counselor within your agency within 45 days of the alleged discriminatory action. This deadline is strictly enforced, and missing it can mean losing important legal rights.

At this stage, you can seek Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) or counseling to attempt a speedy resolution of their employment dispute. If the employment issue is not resolved through ADR or counseling, you would need to file a formal EEOC complaint at the agency level.

The agency would then conduct an investigation. Some cases may be referred to the Merit System Protection Board (MSPB) at this stage. The agency must finish its investigation within 180 days of the filing of the formal complaint.

Once the investigation is complete, you may request an EEO hearing before an administrative law judge. You also have the right to file a lawsuit in federal court at any point after your formal complaint has been pending for more than 180 days. Tyson Corner federal employment workplace discrimination lawyers from our firm regularly represent employees throughout the EEO process, from the initial EEO counseling and ADR through trial and appeal.

Getting Help from a Dedicated Tysons Corner Federal Employment Workplace Discrimination Attorney

If your rights were violated, a Tysons Corner federal employment workplace discrimination lawyer from the Spiggle Law Firm could represent you and provide experienced professional guidance. If retained, your attorney could investigate your case, identify possible violations of federal anti-discrimination laws, and advise you about actions you can take.

The focus of our practice is helping employees who need a seasoned advocate for their rights, and we have experience representing clients through all stages of the employment law enforcement process. You take your rights seriously and so do we—so call today to set up an initial meeting or get a no-cost online case review.