A whistleblower is a person who reports a violation of the law, an unethical practice, mismanagement, corruption, waste of funds, or danger to public safety. Whistleblowers typically report their knowledge of these illegal situations to the powers that be at a company or to a governmental agency. Many federal and state laws protect whistleblowers from retaliation.

If you have knowledge of illegal practices and are considering going public or if you have been retaliated against for whistle blowing, it is vitally important that you contact a lawyer because this area of the law is complicated. Spiggle Law is one of the largest employment law firms in Virginia that works solely for employees, never the employers. We can advocate and advise you on standing up for your rights and fighting back against illegal employment practices.

Three Things You Can Do Right Now.
  1. Some whistleblowing claims must be brought within 30 days, or you lose your right to a claim. Consult a lawyer for advice.
  2. Before reporting your concern, check your company policies to determine the right person to contact and the appropriate process to follow.
  3. If you do not feel comfortable raising your concerns with your employer, you can contact the appropriate federal or state agency directly, or you can call a lawyer for advice.

Frequently Asked Questions

What if I am not correct about my accusation of wrongdoing?

You need not be correct about the accusation so long as you have a reasonable, good faith belief that the behavior complained of violates the law, breaches corporate ethics or policies, or threatens public safety.

How can I establish a whistleblower claim?

You must show three things: (1) you engaged in the protected activity of alerting your employer or a government agency to some form of wrongdoing, (2) your employer knows about your protected activity, (3) you suffered an adverse action, which is any kind of punishment designed to silence you, and (4) you suffered the adverse action because of your protected activity.

Aside from reporting a violation to your employer or to the government, are there any other kinds of protected activities?

Yes. You can refuse to obey an illegal order from your employer, give support to others who have complained about conduct, or resist your employer’s wrongdoing in any other manner.

Employment Law for Women How To Protect Your Employment Law Rights

Learn how to:

- Identify the laws that apply to your situation
- Take action to maximize severance value
- Find the best lawyer for your case

Download eBook

This is where it starts to get better.

Our 15-part e-course can help you protect your workplace rights. Sign up below to get it sent straight to your inbox at no cost to you.