Can I stop the harassment without hiring a lawyer?

It depends on your employer. If you feel you are being harassed, one way to try to resolve the problem is to tell the harasser to stop. If you are uncomfortable confronting the harasser, you should not endure harassment or try to resolve the matter yourself. Your employer should have other ways for you to report the harassing conduct.

You may be able to report the incidents to your employer’s human resources department, your manager’s manager, or a manager of a different department. If employees suffering through harassment don’t complain, the harasser may interpret this as a sign the behavior is not a problem or that the victim is not offended.