Am I protected from being fired because of my disability?
You may be protected if you:
Can I be fired for taking time off or asking for leave to care for myself or a family member?
Taking medical leave can be protected in many circumstances. See the following:
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- U.S. Department of Labor (www.dol.gov)
- *Americans with Disabilities Act
- If the family member is disabled; search for ADA association clause
- The FMLA and Leave Discrimination Section of this website
This may also apply if an employer is attempting to interfere with you taking leave for these reasons