In The Episode
In this podcast, my guest is Michelle Kallen, a senior associate in the D.C. office of the large, New York-based law firm of Paul Weiss. Michelle has a three-year-old son and a husband who is a doctor in the surgical pathology department at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore.
Michelle shares how she spends her busy days working at the office, working from home, and taking care of her son, Gabriel. Managing her duties of working for demanding clients and partners, writing briefs, and being a wife and mommy make for very busy days for Michelle!
– An overview of Michelle’s parenting story
– How she secured a generous maternity leave of five months after her son was born prematurely
– What it’s like to go through the NICU experience with a husband who is a doctor
– The challenges of balancing work and love of her career with her new child
– Her experiences traveling as a nursing mother with a breast pump
– What it’s like in “big law” being an associate with a young child
– The perspective of parents with a healthy child
– The parenting focus of the Women’s Bar Association in DC
– The challenges for Michelle’s husband in becoming a father
– The disparity in leave taken by moms and dads
– The gender role differences with millennials and their differing parenting habits
– Michelle’s advice to her younger self: “We all put this façade on Facebook and in pictures in our offices of the perfect parent life. No one posts the horrible moments and challenges or reality parenting. No one has it all together, and I’m happy to share the difficulties. Every day is a new struggle and a new joy.”
Help us by rating this podcast.
Leave a review for this podcast. I appreciate your honest feedback and read all reviews.
See this podcast’s transcript.