Anne Arundel County Federal Workplace Discrimination Lawyer

Share This

Every federal employee or job applicant in Maryland is protected from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, and disability. Before you can file a formal federal workplace discrimination lawsuit, though, you must participate in the pre-complaint equal employment opportunity (EEO) process, which attempts to settle discrimination complaints without a lawsuit via a multi-step process.

However, there are some exceptions that could lead an applicant to take legal action during or after the EEO process. Fortunately, this is where an Anne Arundel County federal workplace discrimination lawyer from the Spiggle Law Firm could help. Call today to begin working with a dedicated employment attorney as soon as possible.

Federal Workplace Discrimination Laws in Anne Arundel County

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits employers from discriminating against job applicants or employees in all phases of employment and pre-employment, including recruiting, interviewing, hiring, promotions, wages and benefits, and firing. The law also forbids offensive conduct or harassment in the workplace, as well as:

  • Discriminatory job ads
  • Discriminatory pre-employment questions
  • Denial of workplace accommodations due to religious beliefs or disability
  • Denial of membership in labor organizations
  • Retaliation for filing a complaint

An Anne Arundel County federal workplace discrimination attorney could help determine whether conduct you experienced constitutes illegal behavior by your federal employer.

Federal Workplace Discrimination Complaint Process

Unless a complaint involves age discrimination or gender-based pay discrimination, employees and job applicants must first participate in the administrative complaint process to address their workplace discrimination. First, individuals must get in touch with an EEO Counselor at the federal agency where they are employed or applied for a job, usually within 45 days from the day discrimination took place.

Individuals would be given the choice to participate in EEO counseling or an alternative dispute resolution (ADR) program such as a mediation. If the complaint cannot be resolved through counseling or ADR, a formal complaint would be filed with the federal agency, which would conduct an investigation within 180 days. After the investigation has concluded, the agency would offer either a hearing before an Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) judge or a decision as to whether discrimination actually occurred.

When to File a Workplace Discrimination Lawsuit

During the EEO complaint process, there are certain times when a lawsuit may be filed against the federal agency. For example, you can file a lawsuit in Anne Arundel County with the help of a federal workplace discrimination lawyer if:

  • 90 days have passed since the day of the agency’s decision
  • The EEOC has not made a decision within 180 days after an appeal was filed
  • Less than 90 days have passed since the EEOC’s appeal decision

Additionally, age discrimination or gender-based pay discrimination cases can begin with a lawsuit immediately and do not have to go through a formal complaint process.

Damages for Federal Workplace Discrimination

One of the most commonly awarded damages is back pay, which would account for the salary and benefits the individual would have earned after an unlawful termination. Other compensatory damages might include loss of future wages, emotional distress, court costs, out-of-pocket expenses, and job placement.

Contact an Anne Arundel County Federal Workplace Discrimination Attorney Today

From the formal complaint process to filing a lawsuit, employment discrimination cases at the federal level can be overwhelming and time-consuming. With the assistance of an Anne Arundel County federal workplace discrimination lawyer, though, you could more effectively navigate the process and pursue justice for the discrimination you have faced. Call the Spiggle Law Firm today to learn more. Also, check out our free case assessment calculator.